Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Accountability is a beautiful thing

I’ve been reading a phenomenal book called His Word in My Heart. While I don’t agree with her interpretation of John 3, I have been so deeply inspired by her love for God’s Word. This wife & mother of two has memorized over 90 chapters of the Bible including 11 books in the New Testament! Turn a country station on & 95% of the time I can sing the lyrics of every song. Not quite the same is it? Well the Lord has a way of surfacing truth in such a way that once I grasp it, He won’t let me go back. So naturally I wanted to go hide this rascally little book on a shelf way up high, so I wouldn’t be accountable. Nice try Habekott. Instead the Lord gave me April. My precious, godly friend April asked me to help her study the book of Romans & before I could catch my words & throw them back, I heard myself agree on one condition – that we would memorize it as we went. I really thought I’d start with Colossians…maybe Philemon. Not Romans. 16 chapters of 200 word sentences. Crrrraaaaaapppp. Oh but really, I am so excited. We get to read, study & memorize something that can change us. Really change us. Inside out, more like Jesus, change. The act of memorizing alone doesn’t mean that much, but the opportunity for God to transform my life through having His Word immediately accessible, sounds pretty amazing. Well my word count on this blog is up to 238, so I’ve officially written as much as one sentence by Paul’s standards. Please feel free to ask me how it’s going. I have a feeling we’ll need as much accountability as possible. And discipline. And coffee.
Comments:
Shawn: Paul was probably cold the whole time he was thinking about how all of his friends had left him…his buddy had his coat but never showed up to give it to him. He was also wanting to look at some of his earlier notes…I wonder if they were prayer lists or theological notes? Details like these from 2 Tim 4:9,13 don’t really hit you until you read and reread and reread them as required with memorization.
Kelsey and my girls are fine. I’m interviewing for both the prison chaplaincy job and an Army Reserves Chaplain position next month. Pray for us, my friend.
Lacie: So true Shawn! I love your insights dear friend!! You guys are on my heart often & I’ll continue to pray the Lord brings you the job that will bring you fulfillment & glorify God the most. I really respect you & Kelsey & the faith you’re exampling as you wait

No comments:

Post a Comment