Monday, January 18, 2010

Just People

Ever read Dr. King’s speech? Or at least since 5th grade? It’s beautiful, almost poetic and worthy of reading again. He truly was a man with vision and courage. I asked my nephews today if they knew why they were out of school. Nathan answered, “because Martin Luther King Jr. helped bring black people and white people together and realize that we’re all just people.”

Here’s some of my favorite parts: “Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends. And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.” I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; “and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment