Sunday, July 11, 2010

Home Away From Home

Home. What a word packed with meaning and emotion! In case you've never heard the Steven Curtis Chapman song I so blatantly ripped my blog title from, "Not Home Yet" here are a bit of my favorite parts of the lyrics:
I know there'll be a moment
I know there'll be a place
Where we will see our Saviour
And fall in His embrace
So let us not grow weary
Or too content to stay
'Cause we are not home yet
I have to admit, I am not sure when I've felt so content and yet so full of hope for the future at the same time. I am LOVING my beautiful, little, old house. I have this amazing back yard with a swing that looks out over the mountains and when I sit out there early in the mornings with Bible and coffee in hand, I can hardly believe how gracious the Lord is to have given me something so sacred. Watching the sun hit Pike's Peak is absolutely glorious. Top that off with having the privilege to read the very words of the Creator who spoke this beauty into being and well, WOW! Through the blood of Jesus Christ, I get to intimately know and fall in love more deeply every day with the Creator! As much as the mountains enthrall me, I do find myself missing my family and my friends in Oklahoma and Texas. After all, His most glorious creations are His children and I do miss their beautiful reflections of our Jesus. I am blessed to have so many beloveds who mirror His image so well. Especially since I've never been very discerning. Call it happy go lucky or foolish, I've generally been the type to accept and trust easily. That little trait has probably gotten me into more pickles than out of, but this week the Lord so sweetly used my foolishness for good. Being the chatty kathy and perhaps naive new homeowner I am, I invited my two hippy plumbers in unafraid and boy was I blessed. The company owner is an incredible believer. He's been sober 22 years now and has a heart for the hurting. His assistant was a homeless man who became a believer a few years ago and though he now has a steady income and resources, he chooses to continue to live on the streets. He believes the Lord has placed him there for a reason and put a gypsy spirit within him to move around a lot so that he can share the Gospel with those that the rest of us turn away from.
HOME.
Instantly that word meant so much more to me. There I was seated with these two beautiful souls, listening to their incredible stories, surrounded by sturdy walls that suddenly felt pretty meaningless. My cute little house will one day be a pile of ashes. These amazing men reminded me that I'd rather collect hearts for Jesus than things. So while I'm enjoying the blessing of such a great neighborhood and flowers and view, it's even better to be reminded that we truly are not home yet. "Keep on looking ahead. Let your heart not forget. We are not home yet."

1 comment: